If you’re off work sick for more than seven days, your employer will usually ask you to provide proof that you’ve been ill. They will normally ask for a fit note from your GP. Fit notes may also be called medical statements or a doctor’s note.

To request a sick certificate, you will need to attend the surgery and arrange a routine GP appointment or use our walk-in service.

A doctor will assess you, and if he or she decides that your health affects your fitness for work, they can issue a fit note and advise that:

you are “not fit for work”


you “may be fit for work taking into account the following advice”

If you need a duplicate sick certificate you can contact the surgery and your duplicate certificate will be ready to collect after 48 hours.

If your sick note needs to be reviewed, we advise you to book a routine appointment with the GP.